LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube class=

Wilsdorf Hall: Naming


Naming ImageWilsdorf Hall provides the finest facilities for students to learn in and for faculty to extend the boundaries of research in nanotechnology, materials science and engineering and chemical engineering.

This extraordinary building provides much needed upgraded laboratory and office space with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment for faculty and students working at the vanguard of science and technology.

We thank our benefactors, particularly Gregory H. Olsen (’71), for his generous leadership gift in honor of the late Heinz G. F. Wilsdorf and the lae Doris Kuhlmann-Wilsdorf, both of whom joined the faculty of the School of Engineering and Applied Science in 1963. Professor Wilsdorf, the first chair of the Department of Materials Science (later renamed the Department of Materials Science and Engineering), was world-renowned for his important contributions to electron microscopy and studies of fracture. Professor Kuhlmann-Wilsdorf, the first woman to become a full professor at the University, is internationally recognized for her pioneering work in plastic deformation and surface physics.

A suite of laboratories and the connection between Wilsdorf Hall and the chemistry library were made possible by a generous gift from the Matthews family, in honor of the late John W. Matthews, the gifted scientist who pioneered the understanding of epitaxy. Additional private supporters include E. Lee (CE'58) and Janet C. Showalter who named a computational lab in Wilsdorf. Mr. Showalter also issued a challenge to his fellow 1958 classmatest to match his gift and name the student lounge, Additional funding came from University resources and corporate donors, including the Richard S. Reynolds Foundation and Merck & Co. Inc.

The list below includes naming opportunities for Wilsdorf Hall. For more information on naming opportunities, please contact Davies Bisset, 434-924-1332.

Naming Opportunities

Atrium Entrance, Lounge and Café (1)  $2,000,000
Plaza (Located Next to McCormick Road) $500,000
Courtyard  $500,000
 
Conference Rooms
Dean’s Conference Rooms $250,000
Conference Rooms $100,000
 
Centers
Ctr. for Electrochemical Science & Engineering  $1,200,000
6 Electrochemistry/Corrosion Labs
Structural Metals Center $1,000,000
Brush Lab (GF), Composites Lab, 3 offices, Heat Treatment Lab
Center for Intelligent Processing of Materials  $1,000,000
Atom Probe Lab, Processing Sensing Lab, 4 offices 
Center for Excellence in Computational Materials Science 
Student space, rooms 303, 310, 310A $750,000
 
Laboratories 
Undergraduate Chemical Engineering Laboratory  $1,000,000
Electrochemistry and Corrosion Laboratories (6)  $ 150,000/each
Reynolds Materials Science Laboratory  Committed
Merck Bio Laboratory  Committed
Visual Computer Laboratories (2)  $ 85,000/each
Demonstration Laboratory  $200,000
Materials Science and Engineering / Chemical Engineering Laboratory  $200,000
Composites Laboratory  $100,000
Brush Laboratory  $150,000
Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory  $150,000
Biomedical Engineering Laboratory  $150,000
Nanotechnology Laboratory  $300,000
Biomaterials Laboratory  $125,000
Atom Probe Laboratory  $100,000
Nanoprinting Laboratory  $100,000
Heat Treatment Laboratory  $100,000
MOCVD Laboratory  $200,000
John W. Matthews Laser Processing Laboratory  Committed
John W. Matthews Thin Films Laboratory  Committed
John W. Matthews Electronic Materials Laboratory  Committed
Ion and Electron Beam Laboratory  $150,000
Scalpel Laboratory  $250,000
Instrument Laboratory  $250,000
General Assembly Laboratory  $150,000
Biomedical Engineering Laboratory  $200,000
Faculty Offices  $ 50,000/each
Wilsdorf Hall / Chemistry Building Connector Committed