LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube class=

What To Do When Arriving in Charlottesville

  • See Joan E. Wicks at Thornton Hall, Room A205, 434.924.4380, to fill out required forms, such as I-9s, if you are going to be working as a GRA or GTA. A list of acceptable forms of identification may be found here. You must bring proof of social security.

    • Typical forms of ID for U.S. Citizens are a passport or picture ID with either a social security card or birth certificate

    • Forms of ID for Non-U.S. Citizens are a passport with visa and I-94, I-20, and a social security card.

    • As a condition of employment or other involvement in research and/or related activities using University facilities and resources ('University Research'), you also must sign and submit the Patent Agreement and Assignment policy acknowledging your acceptance of the University of Virginia Patent Policy. ¬†This policy can be found¬†here, and a signed copy should be submitted to the graduate office in your department.
  • Foreign National Students: arrange to get the equivalent of a Social Security number as soon as possible, preferably before visiting Joan E. Wicks. This can be obtained by visiting the Social Security office. This number is necessary for the step above, and it must be submitted to Ms. Wicks as soon as possible so that your payroll may be set up properly.

  • Iva Gillet is in the Graduate Programs office in Thornton Hall, Room A107. If you were admitted contingent upon some materials (final transcript, GRE scores, etc), please see Iva immediately so that she can complete your file.

  • Bring plenty of money. Be sure to have a two-months supply of funds.