The Center for Advanced Self-Powered Systems of Integrated Sensors and Technologies (ASSIST) is a National Science Foundation sponsored Nanosystems Engineering Research Center (NERC). The mission of ASSIST is to use nanotechnology to improve global health by enabling a correlation between personal health and personal environment that empowers individuals and doctors to manage wellness and improve the quality of life. The University of Virginia is a partner with ASSIST and offers five laboratories that are devoted to promoting advances in nanotechnology.
ASSIST's system-driven research is accomplished through its five integrative Research Thrusts:
Of the various thrusts, the University of Virginia focuses primarily on Thrust III via the Integrated Circit Design and Test Laboratory, MicroFabrication Laboratory, Millimeter-Wave Measurement Laboratory, UVA Center for Wireless Health, and the Robus Low Power VLSI Group.
There are three programs that the University of Virginia offers through ASSIST: Young Scholars, (RET), and Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU).
- Thrust I, Energy Harvesting and Storage
- Thrust II, Low Power Emerging Nanoelectronics
- Thrust III, Low Power Wearable Nanosensors
- Thrust IV, Low Power System on Chip
- Thrust V, Wearability and Data
Program and Deadline information about RET, REU, and the Young Scholars Programs:
- Collaborate with UVa Engineering Faculty and learn about cutting-edge advances in nanotechnology
- Engage with faculty and other researchers via weekly meetings, seminars, field trips, and workshops
- Participants receive a weekly stipend and free room and board as needed
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States
- Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Only complete applications will be reviewed
- Research Experience for Teachers June 27, 2016 - July 28, 2016. Please click here for the application. The deadline to apply to is March 15, 2016.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates June 27, 2016 - July 28, 2016. Please click here for the application. The deadline to apply is March 1, 2016.
- Young Scholars June 27, 2016 - July 28, 2016. Please click here for the application. The deadline to apply to is March 15, 2016.